At Vermont State University, you’ll experience a hands-on approach to learning the ins and outs of forest management, timber science, and business management skills that will prepare you for a career in forestry or related fields. Our university’s actively-managed woodlots and commercial sugarbush provide you with a living classroom to practice species identification, operation of industry tools, mapping, and harvesting techniques. You’ll leave the program with a breadth of knowledge and experience that you can leverage after graduating to gain a career in the field, further your educational goals, or work toward a Vermont Forestry License.
Why Study Forestry at Vermont State?
- Industry-leading faculty: Our instructors have field experience working as foresters themselves. Their well-respected position in the industry often leads to employment opportunities for students.
- High success rate: Our program has a 100% placement rate among graduates.*
- Increased financial security: In 2021, licensed foresters earned an average annual salary of $63,750.**
- Tradition and vision: You will develop a nuanced understanding of and the ability to merge sustainable and climate-focused practices with long-held traditional practices within the field.
- Licensure preparation: Our Associate of Applied Science degree meets the required educational component for the Vermont forestry license.
*Vermont Tech Class of 2019
Financial Aid for Forestry Students
Vermont State University is providing a high-quality, affordable degree in forestry to students across Vermont and beyond. More than 80 percent of Vermont State students are awarded financial aid, including new students, transfer students, international students, out-of-state students, and first-generation students. Our financial aid team is here to help you explore all your options.
Internships & Jobs in Forestry
At Vermont State, you’ll gain leading-edge skills for forestry jobs through internships, co-ops, career coaching, and more. Our internship placements are guaranteed to grow your professional network. With a 100% job placement rate, our recent graduates have held positions at forestry companies like New England Forestry Consultants and maple sugaring operations.
“During my time in the program, I was offered a job by one of my professors. I currently have a job with a consulting forester, and once I am done with school, I will work for him full-time and then get my Forester’s License.”Benjamin Kerstetter, ’21