As a Landscape Contracting student at Vermont State University, you’ll build the technical, creative, and business skills needed to become an innovator and profitable business owner at the top of your field. You’ll learn to design and manage holistic, sustainable landscapes for customers ranging from Fortune 500 companies to private homeowners.
Gain hands-on experience with materials and methods of construction, site engineering, greenhouse and nursery environmental systems, integrated pest management, and industry-standard computer software. Learn how to efficiently run your own business and make high-level connections while you explore the fields of horticulture, landscape architecture, arboriculture, forestry, masonry, and more. You’ll also get on-site experience creating master plans for real-world residential and community projects through our local partnerships.
Why Study Landscape Contracting at Vermont State?
- Depth of knowledge: Prepare for a wide variety of careers in landscape management, whether your passion lies in design, installation, or maintenance.
- Learn from experts: Our faculty are industry leaders with experience in sustainable agriculture and conservation in places like the Findhorn Ecovillage in Scotland, the Green Mountains, the Finger Lakes, and other U.S. Forest Service sites.
- Small class sizes: You’re never just a number in a classroom; you’re part of a team of learners receiving highly-personal support.
- Strong foundation: You’ll be prepared for further education opportunities in licensed specialties such as landscape architecture.
- Certification preparation: Completing this program prepares you to take the Vermont Certified Horticulturalist exam or the International Society of Arboriculture’s Arboriculture Certificate.
Financial Aid for Landscaping Students
Vermont State University is providing a high-quality, affordable degree in landscape construction and design to students across Vermont and beyond. More than 80 percent of Vermont State students are awarded financial aid, including new students, transfer students, international students, out-of-state students, and first-generation students. Our financial aid team is here to help you explore all your options.
Internships & Jobs in Landscape Contracting
At Vermont State, you’ll gain leading-edge skills for landscape contracting jobs through internships, co-ops, career coaching, and more. Our internship placements will help grow your professional network.
After completing your first year of courses, you’ll work with program faculty and staff to arrange a summer job that broadens your understanding of real-world horticulture and design.
Examples of recent internships and jobs in landscaping that students have held include:
- Nature Works Organic Land Care
- Habitat for Humanity
- Dan Snow Stoneworks
“I came into the landscape program with a large amount of knowledge in the industry since I have run my own business in landscaping for years. There’s been so much more about landscaping to learn that I didn’t know about, and I’m really happy for that. Also, I was very much used to being in classes in high school with less than 20 students, and having that here as well has made the experience much easier for me.”Jack Beauparlant, ’19