Vermont State University’s B.A. in Performance Arts and Technology will give you the opportunity to learn more than just what happens at the front of the stage. You will study traditional acting, music, immersive set design, humanities, and digital and audio storytelling to prepare for success in the world of professional theater and performing arts. You won’t only graduate as a performer or a designer — you will also graduate as an artist ready to work on performances, installations, and modern gallery shows.
Why Study Performance Arts & Technology at Vermont State?
- Diverse skill set: You can focus on music, immersive design, theater or musical theater, social justice and activism, or dance. Our collaborative program will prepare you with a diverse skill set to help you land your dream job in the creative market.
- Cutting-edge technology: You will enhance your storytelling skills by working with cutting-edge technology to produce podcasts, engaging videos, and interactive digital media designs.
- Teacher preparation: You can pair the B.A. in Performance Arts & Technology with secondary education studies so you can go on to teach theater and music in co-curricular programs and K-12 schools.
- Hands-on experience: You will create multidisciplinary work and graduate with a portfolio of original performance works and hands-on experience.
- Performance production: You will produce performances throughout the year, such as the annual fall immersive show, spring musical, historical pieces, and dance performances.
Concentrations in Performance Arts & Technology
Students in this program choose a concentration to combine with their foundational classes.
- Social Justice & Activism
- Theatre/Musical Theatre
To apply, please select Performance Arts & Technology from the list on the application. You will have opportunity to identify your concentration interest after you apply.
Financial Aid for Performance Arts & Technology Students
Vermont State University is providing a high-quality, affordable degree in Performance Arts & Technology to students across Vermont and beyond. More than 80 percent of Vermont State students are awarded financial aid, including new students, transfer students, international students, out-of-state students, and first-generation students. Our financial aid team is here to help you explore all your options.
Internships & Jobs in Performance Arts & Technology
At Vermont State, we offer several opportunities for you to gain practical skills in Performance Arts & Technology.
- We have a strong partnership with Catamount Arts, a Northeast Kingdom production company that features acts from around the world. Vermont State students have worked on stages across the state with Catamount Arts as a part of coursework and in paid internships.
- Each student finishes the program with a final-year performance. This could be a rendition of one of the classics, a recital or stage play, or an original collaborative work that shows off your multidisciplinary skill set.
- You will work alongside, and collaborate with, professional performing artists and designers from Vermont, New York City, and beyond.
- Through our expert faculty, our students get to meet and collaborate with professionals in the industry. We travel to see their shows, and they come to work with us on original, interdisciplinary works on campus.
“We’re not just studying one thing. We’re doing set design, studying literature — everything that goes into creating plays and movies, every aspect of performance art. We’re learning how to push the envelope, how to create art and theater in new ways, not just in the ways that have been done before. I really want to be an actor, and I want to carry the spirit of this program into the industry. It is a nurturing space to step out of the box.”Addie White ’23