Explore. Innovate. Lead. As a student in Vermont State University’s Renewable Energy program, you’ll gain real-world, hands-on experience in designing, building, and implementing renewable energy sources like solar, wind, water, and geothermal heat. The renewable energy degree prepares you to address climate change and do your part to bring clean energy to our communities. Graduates of our program are ideal candidates for roles as solar installers, wind turbine technicians, sustainability specialists, and more.
Why Study Renewable Energy at Vermont State?
- A fast-growing field: The average salary for solar installers is $47,760 and the need for solar installers is expected to grow 52% through 2030 — much faster than the national average.*
- A jumpstart to your career: 100% of Vermont State Renewable Energy graduates have secured a job six months after graduation at renewable energy manufacturers, energy project developers, manufacturing and technology companies, and energy consulting and management firms. Some students have even secured jobs at companies like Green Mountain Power before graduation.
- Hands-on experience: Learn alongside expert faculty in our renewable energy lab, where you’ll access a variety of renewable energy installations like an anaerobic biodigester, wind turbine, and solar array. You can also grow your skills on our solar training roof and with our two anemometer towers.
- Flexible learning format: Vermont State’s renewable energy degree offers the perfect blend of classroom and experiential learning, and the ability to take some classes online provides flexibility for working professionals.
*Source: U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics
Financial Aid for Renewable Energy Students
Vermont State University is providing a high-quality, affordable degree in Renewable Energy to students across Vermont and beyond. More than 80 percent of Vermont State students are awarded financial aid, including new students, transfer students, international students, out-of-state students, and first-generation students. Our financial aid team is here to help you explore all your options.
Internships & Jobs in Renewable Energy
At Vermont State, you’ll gain leading-edge skills for Renewable Energy jobs through internships, co-ops, career coaching, and more. Our internship placements are guaranteed to grow your professional network.
Jobs held by recent Renewable Energy graduates include:
- Quality and Production Engineer at Northern Reliability
- Production and Field Engineer at Northern Reliability
- Solar Installer at Green Mountain Solar
- Installer and Electrical Apprentice at Revision Energy
“After my first year of math and science, I felt empowered. I’ve always struggled with math, but here I am at college prospering.”Diora Kania ’18
“This ended up being the perfect opportunity for me. It allowed me to build a community, meet people, and understand what being in Vermont is like.”Devin Tingle ’21