The Vermont State University Media Arts Program sits at the intersection of art and technology. You will learn about art history, develop your personal artistic practice, and learn skills that will give you an edge when applying for jobs in creative industries. Media Arts students are members of a tight-knit community who take courses in graphic design, image processing, animation and motion graphics, video, and new media. You can bring your own artistic interests into your studies while gaining professional skills for the creative economy.
Why Study Media Arts at Vermont State?
- Supportive community: The Vermont State Media Arts program prides itself on keeping class sizes small and faculty accessible. You’ll work within a small, supportive community that can give you fresh perspectives and help you grow your creative abilities.
- State-of-the-art technology: You’ll build your skills in the Media Arts Research Studio, which houses state-of-the-art digital hardware, software, and printers. You’ll also participate in lectures, demos, labs, critiques, and public presentations.
- Career options: Media arts students have gone on to work in galleries, on television and movie sets, as designers and graphics specialists, and as art and design teachers around the country.
- Hone your skills: You’ll study a wide variety of art media, allowing you to dive into new creative practices and hone your existing skills. Photography, illustration, animation, graphics, set design, and production are all on the table.
Financial Aid for Media Arts Students
Vermont State University is providing a high-quality, affordable degree in media arts to students across Vermont and beyond. More than 80 percent of Vermont State students are awarded financial aid, including new students, transfer students, international students, out-of-state students, and first-generation students. Our financial aid team is here to help you explore all your options.
Internships & Jobs in Media Arts
At Vermont State, you’ll gain leading-edge skills for media arts jobs through internships, co-ops, career coaching, and more. Our internship placements are guaranteed to grow your professional network. We offer several opportunities for you to gain practical skills in media arts:
- Students travel to New York City to see world-renowned artists and exhibitions.
- In collaboration with the Vermont Arts Council, River Arts Gallery, The Current Gallery, Art So Wonderful, and other spaces, students have the opportunity to exhibit their work off-campus.
- Faculty encourage you to step outside your comfort zone and explore a variety of creative fields and art career options.
- Media arts students often work in on-campus galleries, labs, and theaters, producing shows and designing for performances. There are opportunities for hands-on work experience in the field without ever having to leave campus.
“This program gave me a lot of great experience. It was nice to jump on something right out of school. I’ve always been interested in bringing stories to life.” About her long days on the set with Hulu and Netflix: “When you spend so much time on a huge project and see the actors bring it all together, it feels great. Hulu and Netflix have become universal. To work on something so accessible to a lot of people is very exciting.”Liz Carr ’16