Vermont State’s Master of Science in Athletic Training (MSAT) will prepare you for the Board of Certification (BOC) examination in just two years. Build your knowledge and skills in this hands-on and interactive athletic training program. In this selective program, you’ll take part in extensive clinical experiences working with men’s and women’s varsity athletic teams and local colleges and high schools. In your medical facility rotation, you’ll be mentored by healthcare professionals at the Vermont Orthopaedic Clinic, Killington Medical Clinic, and/or the Castleton Community Health Center.
Why Study Athletic Training at Vermont State?
- Experiential learning in the field: You’ll gain extensive hands-on learning with an emphasis on clinical reasoning over four semesters of work in the field. Graduate with confidence gained through experience.
- Learn from skilled faculty and clinicians: Vermont State’s faculty bring a wealth of in-field expertise to their courses, and you’ll also work with highly skilled clinicians at area colleges, high schools, and medical clinics during rotations.
- Prepare for a career in a growing field: Employment of athletic trainers is projected to grow 16 percent before 2029. Demand is expected to increase as people learn the effects of sport-related injuries, and as more middle-aged and older adults remain active.*
- Earn up to three certifications: Besides preparation for the Board of Certification (BOC) exam to enter the profession of athletic training, you can also prepare to earn credentials through two additional exams: the National Strength and Conditioning Specialist (NSCS) certification exam and the Orthopedic Physician Extender (OPE) exam.
Financial Aid for Athletic Training Students
Vermont State University is providing a high-quality, affordable degree in athletic training to students across Vermont and Beyond. Our financial aid team is here to help you explore all your options for funding your graduate education.
Internships & Jobs in Athletic Training
At Vermont State, you’ll gain leading-edge skills for athletic training jobs through internships, co-ops, career coaching, and more. Our internship placements will help you grow your professional network.
Students of the program have held internships at businesses such as:
- Georgia State University
- The Endurance Society
- Saskadena Six Resort
- Special Olympics of VT
- UMASS Lowell Recreation
- Vermont Sport and Fitness
The Athletic Training Program is accredited by the Commission on Accreditation of Athletic Training Education (CAATE).
Applicants must have a bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited college or university or be enrolled in our Health Science bachelor’s degree program with a concentration in Pre-Athletic Training by the time of program entry. Please take note of the specific admissions requirements. Enrollment in the MSAT program is limited and admission is selective.