Vermont State University is one of the few schools in the country that offers degree programs in fine woodworking and design. Your Bachelor of Fine Arts in Woodworking & Fine Furniture Design will give you the skills, experience, and confidence to walk into any shop with a professional portfolio in hand, ready to create fine homes, furniture, and cabinetry — or start your own company. You will take most of your courses at the Vermont Woodworking School, a 15,000-square-foot, historic barn/modern woodworking and carpentry shop with dedicated bench space for students and state-of-the-art equipment.
Why Study Woodworking & Fine Furniture Design at Vermont State?
- Career readiness: Prepare to start your own small business or pursue careers in the wood products, manufacturing, and fabrication industries. Or establish yourself in the art world and high-end furniture design community.
- State-of-the-art facility: You will have your own dedicated bench space at the Vermont Woodworking School, located 20 minutes from the Vermont State University-Johnson campus, complete with state-of-the-art bench rooms, mill shops, a finish room, a 12-seat computer lab, a photo studio, common areas, and galleries.
- Industry-standard software: You will graduate with skills using SolidWorks and CAD programs, which are essential for design jobs in the wood industry and beyond.
- Professional portfolio development: Before graduating, you will assemble a professional portfolio and establish a regular studio practice, setting up strong, smart, and healthy working habits for your career.
- Professional art world access: You’ll become familiar with the professional art world outside of woodworking, including exhibition venues, graduate schools, and grant opportunities.
Financial Aid for Woodworking & Fine Furniture Design Students
Vermont State University is providing a high-quality, affordable degree in Woodworking & Fine Furniture Design to students across Vermont and beyond. More than eighty percent of Vermont State students are awarded financial aid, including new students, transfer students, international students, out-of-state students, and first-generation students. Our financial aid team is here to help you explore all your options.