Policies for Veterans

Academic Status of Returning Service Members after Active Deployment

Service members returning from a leave of absence due to active duty deployment will retain their academic standing and may continue their education where they left off if they return to Vermont State University within the terms of the official leave of absence. The university will make reasonable efforts to accommodate students in programs that have quotas, are being phased out, or have been dropped from the curriculum. Students on extended leave may encounter difficulty when program course changes have been made. The student retains the right to use either the degree requirements in the catalog in effect at the time of admission or the degree requirements of any other catalog published during the period of active enrollment.

Veterans Benefits and Transition Act

Per Section 103 of the Colmery Act:

Any covered individual, is permitted to attend or participate in the course of education during the period beginning on the date on which the individual provides to the educational institution a certificate of eligibility for entitlement to educational assistance under chapter 31 or 33 (a certificate of eligibility can also include a “Statement of Benefits” obtained from the Department of Veteran Affairs (VA) website – eBenefits, or VA 28-1905 form for chapter 31 authorization purposes) and ending on the earlier of the following dates:

  1. The date on which payment from V A is made to the institution,
  2. 90 days after the date the institution certified tuition and fees following the receipt of the certificate of eligibility.

Vermont State University will not impose any penalty, including the assessment of late fees, the denial of access to classes, libraries, or other institutional facilities, or the requirement that a covered individual borrow additional funds, on any covered individual because of the individual’s inability to meet his or her financial obligations to the institution due to the delayed disbursement funding from VA under chapter 31 or 33.

Veteran Credit

A veteran may be allowed credit for courses or service schools as recommended by the American Council on Education. Active duty service personnel are advised to see their Education Officer about taking College Level Examination Program (CLEP) examinations.

Enrollment Certification for Veterans and Military Dependents

Veterans, active duty military personnel, and military or veteran’s dependents who qualify for educational benefits should contact the Veteran’s School Certifying Official in the Registrar’s Office as soon as possible after deciding to enroll at Vermont State University.

Military Active Duty Deployment

If a student enlisted in the armed forces is called up to active duty during the semester, they must provide an Associate Academic Dean with a copy of the official orders and, if possible, an indication of the tour’s length. At that point, the student is placed on a Leave of Absence effective to the beginning of the semester; the student’s semester charges are adjusted to zero, any financial aid is returned to the source, and the student is fully refunded any personal payments made to the university. When the student is ready to resume coursework, they must contact the Academic Affairs office to provide notice of intent to return to school.

Exception:  If the deployment takes place in the final two weeks of the semester, the student may ask their professors for a grade of “incomplete” and an extension to finish the coursework. In this case, there is no need for financial adjustment.

Vermont Residency

To qualify as a Vermont Resident for purposes of tuition, a student must meet criteria established by the Board of Trustees. The policy of the Board is as follows:

  1. The applicant shall be domiciled in Vermont, said domicile having been continuous for one year immediately prior to the date of application for a change in residency  status. Changes in residency status shall become effective for the semester following the date of application.
  2. Domicile shall mean a person’s true, fixed and permanent home, to which he intends to return when absent. A residence established for the purpose of attending an educational institution or qualifying for resident status for tuition purposes shall not of itself constitute domicile. Domicile shall not be determined by
    the applicant’s marital status.
  3. The applicant must demonstrate such attachment to the community as would be typical of a permanent resident of his age and education.
  4. Receipt of significant financial support from the applicant’s family will create a rebuttal presumption that the applicant’s domicile is with his family.
  5. An applicant becoming a student at an institution of higher learning in Vermont within one year of first moving to the state shall have created a rebuttable presumption of residence in Vermont for the purpose of attending an educational institution.
  6. A student who is eligible for tuition purposes to enroll as a resident student in another state shall not be enrolled as a ”Vermont Resident”.
  7. The director of admissions shall classify a student enrolling at Vermont State University as a resident or non-resident for admission and tuition purposes. The decision by the director of admissions shall be based upon information furnished by the student and other relevant information. He/she is authorized to require such written documents, affidavits, verifications or other evidence as is deemed necessary.
  8. The burden of proof shall in all cases rest upon the student claiming to be a Vermont resident and shall be met upon a showing of clear and convincing evidence.
  9. A student with resident status will lose that status if he/she, at any time, fails to meet the above requirements. In this event, resident tuition and other charges shall continue in effect only until the end of the academic year.
  10. The decision of the director of admissions on the classification of a student as a resident or non-resident may be appealed in writing to the dean of administration.

A student who wishes to declare a change in his residence of record must apply to the dean of administration. Appeal of residency decisions by the dean of administration may be made in writing to the Office of the Chancellor, Vermont State Colleges. The decision of the Office of the Chancellor shall be final.