Housing Policies

Vermont State University Housing Policy

Vermont State University welcomes all students to live on campus regardless of academic level or learning modality. Most residence halls require students to participate in a campus dining plan at some level. It is a condition of admission that all traditional aged (< 23), full-time, undergraduate, matriculated students enrolled in person and in person plus academic programs live in a university residence hall and purchase a meal plan until they have earned 60 credits. Some scholarships require students to live on campus through to degree completion. VTSU (Vermont State University) adheres to a policy requiring first and second year students to live on campus because participation in the social, cultural, and recreational opportunities of campus life enhances the formal learning that takes place within the academic community

Residential contracts are licenses to live in the designated space which are binding for the entire academic year in which the student is enrolled at the University. Flexibility does exist for students looking to move from one campus to another between semesters. New students seeking to live on campus will submit a housing contract as part of the enrollment process and current students will participate in the room selection process each spring semester to secure a room on campus for the fall semester. If you require a housing accommodation, please contact Disability Services.

Students who meet one or more of these conditions may be automatically exempt from this policy:

  • Commute from their parent/guardian home within 30 miles of the campus location
  • Are age 23 or will turn 23 on or before the start of the spring semester
  • Are married or partners of a civil union
  • Are a parent with custody of their child(ren)
  • Are completing an internship, teaching practicum or assistantship* outside the area
  • Have already lived on a college campus for four semesters
  • Have completed 60 or more credits

* Teaching assistantship, practicum, or internship must meet these criteria:

  • Necessary to fulfill graduation requirements
  • Occurs off-site 30 or more miles from your home campus
  • Requires 480 or more hours for the semester
  • The assistantship, practicum, or internship must appear on the student’s schedule for the semester in which the exemption is requested.

Please contact the Residence Life Office at ResidenceLife@VermontState.edu if you have questions or are seeking a waiver from the requirement to live on campus.

Credits per Semester

Undergraduate students and graduate students residing on campus, including apartment-style housing, must be enrolled as full-time students. Full time is defined as registered for 12 credits as an undergraduate student and 9 credits as a graduate student. Should any residential student drop below full time, and/or fail to attend classes at a level necessary for satisfactory academic progress, housing status will be reviewed and may be revoked.

Residents living in the Johnson Campus Apartments must maintain a grade point average of 2.5 each semester and have no disciplinary violations to maintain eligibility for the apartments. Residents in Honors Housing on the Castleton Campus must maintain a grade point average of 3.0 each semester.

Active Duty Hours

Resident Assistants participate in an on-call duty rotation in the Residence halls. The RAs (Resident Assistants) will be available on each campus to support the residential community  the RAs will be on duty as follows:

  • 8 – 11 p.m.: Sunday, Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday nights.
  • 8 p.m. – 1 a.m.: Friday and Saturday nights.

Resident Assistant duty coverage does not apply during break weeks. See Break Housing for additional details.

Resident Assistant passive duty will be when active duty ends at the above listed times in their rooms or the building until 7 am the following morning and will be available to residents. 

A professional residence life staff member is on call on a 24/7 basis and are on rotating weeks. They can be contacted through Public Safety or your Resident Assistant.

On Call Staff Policy

A member of the residence hall staff is on call every evening to answer questions, handle emergencies, and direct students to resources. Contact information will be available on each campus. Please see a member of the residence life staff to contact the on-call duty staff member.

Break Housing

The residence halls will remain open for scheduled breaks of less than one-week duration. For scheduled breaks of one full week or longer, the residence halls close at 7:00pm on Friday and re-open at 9:00am the Sunday prior to classes resuming. Please refer to the academic calendar for dates and times of these closings.

  • Requests to remain on campus during breaks will be considered. All requests must be received via eRezlife on or before the stated deadline. Break housing approvals are made on a case-by-case basis. A student’s conduct history may be considered for being approved for break housing. The following are a few reasons for approval: athletics, international student, student teaching, and nursing are just a few examples.

Guidelines for Break Housing

The VTSU (Vermont State University) code of conduct and policies remain in force during University breaks. In the Residence Halls, guests are not allowed during this time, 24-hour quiet hours are in effect, and no alcohol consumption is permitted regardless of age. Non-compliance with these expectations may result in immediate removal from housing for the remainder of the break.

Please note: The use of a campus meal plan is not available to students during break weeks. This is the case whether the student must remain on campus or not. Limited food service options may be available in designated locations for all students on campus during these scheduled breaks. Please check with your campus dining services for meal availability prior to break weeks.

The Johnson Campus Apartments remain open through the academic year; therefore, residents are not required to leave. The guest policy (see details below under Guest Policy) for apartments remains in effect. At least one apartment resident must be staying at the apartment when a guest is present over break.


The following is a list of acceptable appliances to use in the Residence Halls and campus apartments:

  • Hot Pots
  • Electric blankets
  • Coffee pots with an auto shut-off
  • Electric irons with an auto shut-off
  • Floor lamps/lights(non-halogen)
    • Plastic shades prohibited
  • One small refrigerator (less than 4.4 cubic feet) is allowed per room
  • Suites may have one microwave and one refrigerator (less than 4.4 cubic feet) in addition

All electrical items need U.L. labels. If you have questions about a specific item not listed above, please contact the Residence Life Office on your campus. Cooking is prohibited except in kitchens. Plug-in tart warmers/wax burners (i.e., Scentsy) are prohibited. Most halogen bulbs are also not permitted in the residence halls. Any UL-approved halogen lamp manufactured after 1996 is permitted.

The following is a list of unacceptable appliances in the residence halls and apartments:

  • Air Conditioners
  • Space Heaters
  • Ski Waxing Paraphernalia
  • (Waxing or tuning of skis and snowboards are also prohibited in the residence halls)
  • Any Open-Flame or exposed heating element appliances.

These include, but are not limited to:

  • Butane torches
    • Camp stoves
    • Lanterns
    • Charcoal Grills
    • Toaster Ovens
    • Electric sandwich presses
    • Hot Plates
    • Volatile liquids
    • Petroleum fuel
    • Motorized vehicles
    • Gasoline-fueled machinery
    • Explosive devices or materials
    • Air Fryers
    • Toasters

Candles/Open Flame/Diffusors

Due to the fire hazard presented and the potentially offensive and pervasive smells, candles, wax warmers, and incense are not allowed in the residence halls. As a fire safety precaution, possession or burning of incense, candles, sterno, kerosene or oil lamps, similar flammable materials, and the use of matches and/or a lighter is prohibited in every student room, even during the loss of electrical power. Candles are prohibited even as decorative items.

Bicycles & Other Non-Motorized Vehicles

Students may store their bicycles, skateboards, scooters, or other small non-motorized vehicles in their rooms (or suites). However, they will be held liable for any damage caused by storage. Students may not store any non-motorized vehicles in hallways or block exits, entrances, or access ramps. Vehicles cannot be ridden in the buildings. 

Hall Sports

Sports activities, including ball sports, rollerblading, skateboarding, scooters, and bicycle riding are prohibited in the residence halls or campus apartments. Hall sports which result in damage or disruption will be considered disruptive behavior and may result in disciplinary action

Building and Rooms Access

Room Entry of Student Rooms

When entry into a student’s living area is required, reasonable attempts will be made to advise the student in advance. VTSU recognizes that students are entitled to privacy in their individual residence hall rooms and campus apartments. However, students should be aware that there are rare occasions when University representatives may, without specific consent or prior notice, enter rooms to check for conditions or articles causing concern, even in closed spaces. It may include wardrobes, closets, a student’s desk, and drawers.

Room entry may occur for the purposes of responding to housekeeping or maintenance requests; a concern for health, welfare, or safety of any room occupant or the room itself; or when there is reasonable basis to believe that there may be a violation of the code of conduct, campus policy, or State or Federal laws. The University reserves the right to remove any prohibited or illegal items if found upon entering a student’s room. The University reserves the right to request residents to open closed spaces. University officials may open closed spaces in the event of health and safety concerns.

The University reserves the right to conduct health or safety checks regularly. These inspections must be posted at least 24 hours in advance and serve a specific purpose, such as break inspections.

Resident rooms should always be locked. The resident is responsible for locking their room door. Similarly, suite residents are responsible for keeping their suite door locked.

Residence hall entry doors cannot, under any circumstances, be propped open. Residency in one hall does not entitle a student to free access to other halls. The outside doors of residence halls are always locked. Residents are expected to use their ID card to enter a residence hall. The University cannot guarantee the financial viability of off-campus living arrangements, the conditions of off-campus facilities or the safety of students who would choose to visit or live in off-campus environments.

Any thefts should be reported immediately to Public Safety.

Safety Inspections

The University will conduct periodic health and safety inspections of all residential rooms and University apartments. Advance notice of at least 24 hours will be given. These inspections are to maintain a safe living environment for all residential students. If during safety inspections, code of conduct or University policy violations are discovered, those responsible may be sanctioned.


When you check into the residence hall room you will be responsible to login to eRezlife to complete your room inventory form. Students will examine the suite and/or room carefully and point out any damage not noted on the room inventory form. After assuring that the condition of the room and/or suite is accurately reflected on the room inventory form, the student must submit the form. A residence life staff member will be available for support if any questions or concerns arise. Failure to do so will result in the loss of the right to appeal any damage charges after checking out. This inventory will be reviewed at check-out.


Students must check out of their room with a residence hall staff member within 24 hours of their last final. Students will check out with the Resident Assistant (RA) in the RA office during scheduled check out times. Students may fill out an express checkout form and leave it in a designated express check out box. Choosing the express checkout may impact a student’s ability to appeal damage charges after checkout. 

Failure to check out may result in losing the right to appeal damage charges. Students will also be charged for any item which is missing or has been damaged since they moved in unless it can be determined that another individual was responsible. When students move on campus, they should insist on following this procedure. It protects them from being charged for damage done prior to arrival and after proper checkout. The University reserves the right to charge for damage, including excessive cleaning, assessed after the checkout has taken place with the Resident Assistant. Professional residence life staff members assess any applicable damage charges; Resident Assistants are not responsible for determining damage charges. If a student wants to appeal the damage charges, they must contact the Assistant Director of Residence Life for their campus.

End of Semester Procedures

Students must vacate their residential room 24-hours after their last exam. If their last exam is scheduled on the last day of exams, students are required to vacate by 12:00 P.M. on the Saturday of exam week. Students are not required to remove all items from their room between the fall and spring semesters unless they are not returning to the University. Exceptions are made only for seniors and students participating in graduation ceremonies. These students may stay until 12:00 P.M. on the following day of commencement. If an exception is required, it is the student’s responsibility to request this in writing by email to the Assistant Director of Residence Life within the specified deadlines. Students who have officially checked-out of the residence halls are not allowed back into the residence halls and may not be a guest of another student. Residence Hall and room access may be terminated if a student fails to vacate the residence halls as required.

Damage Policy

Should a student or their guest damage University property, the student must report the incident to a residence life staff member and understand that they will be responsible for the damage. If the person responsible is not identified, the cost of the damage can either be charged to the members of the room, the residents of the suite, all the students living on the floor, or the building. For other campus buildings the cost may be billed to all students.


Dartboards that require the use of metal tipped darts are prohibited. Dartboards and plastic tipped darts are permitted so long as they do not damage walls, doors, etc. 

Decorations and Furnishings

Students cannot hang banners or signs on the exterior of buildings, on or from balconies or windows without permission from a residence life professional. Product advertisements, such as beer signs, hung in residence hall windows must face inward. Road signs, highway cones and construction lights may not be displayed in residence halls even if the item was obtained legitimately and will be confiscated if found. Residents are not allowed to post any outward displays from suite windows next to the main suite door. Decorative alcohol container collections (i.e., beer cans, liquor bottles, etc.) are not permitted in the residence halls.

No item may be anchored to the wall, ceiling, or floor. Nothing shall be attached to any electrical fixture, electrical conduit, sprinkler head, or sprinkler piping. No command strips, foam tape, duct tape, or other types of strong adhesives are permitted when hanging items to the walls. Only masking or painters’ tape is permitted. Thumb tacks or small finishing nails are suggested but may also cause damage charges for residents.

The fire code requires that furnishings of an explosive or highly flammable nature not be used and/or possessed in a residence hall. Wall coverings such as posters or other paper/cloth decorations can only cover 50% of a wall. No holes, nails or screws may be put into any residence hall door, wall, ceiling, floor, or furniture. Likewise, no wall coverings (posters, etc.).) may be applied using duct tape, adhesive glue, or cement. No objects may cover electrical outlets, heat or smoke detectors, fire alarm signaling devices or lighting fixtures. No decorations or coverings may hang from the ceiling or light fixtures. 

Residence hall furniture is considered common property for all residents and students may not remove it from common areas. Students found to have lounge furniture or other unauthorized University furniture or equipment in their rooms will be charged a furniture removal fee. Furniture in lounges should be available for use by residents and their guests. Furniture may not be removed for use in any room to which it was not assigned. Dismantling or removal of furniture from its assigned room may result in disciplinary action and or fines. All residence hall improvements, repairs, and painting are done by the facilities staff.


Vermont State Residence Life upholds a strict furniture policy to ensure fire safety and protect the cleanliness of the residence halls and rooms. All residence hall rooms are furnished appropriately for the residents with a twin extra-long bed, twin extra-long mattress that meets or exceeds the California Technical Bulletin 129, desk, desk chair, dresser, wardrobe or closet and blinds. Furniture varies in each residence hall, room, and building.

Personally owned upholstered or stuffed furniture such as, but not limited to the following: sofas, chairs, loveseats, bean bags, and futon beds are not permitted in the residence halls unless a student can provide the manufacturer’s certification that the furniture meets the Flame Resistance: California Technical Bulletin 117-2013 Section 1: Cover Fabric Test; CS-191-53, Class 1; BIFMA X5.7-1991; UFAC, Class 1; B. S. 5852 Part 1: 1979 Ignition Source 0, smoldering cigarette.

Personal mattresses are not permitted in the residence halls. The mattresses that are provided to residential students meet or exceed the California Technical Bulletin 129. If a student is requesting a personal mattress due to medical accommodation, it must come with a manufacturer’s certification that the furniture meets or exceeds the California Technical Bulletin 129. To request medical housing accommodation, students must contact their home campus’s Office of Disability Services.

Hard surfaced furniture such as tables, chairs, shelving units, and nightstands are permitted.

The furniture approval policy does not apply to the Johnson Apartments as the apartments are not furnished. Any furniture that students bring to the apartments must be removed when moving out. If any furniture is not removed, you will be fined $100.00 for each item not removed.

Beds and Loft Kits

Beds may not be disassembled or removed from the room. Beds are only to be bunked or lofted as intended by the manufacturer. For health reasons, it is strongly recommended that bed coverings be used. Lofts must be approved by the Office of Residence Life. (Please note not all campuses have beds that may be lofted, contact your home campus Residence Life office). Unapproved bed lofts may result in disciplinary action deemed appropriate by the University.

The student requesting the loft kit will sign out, pick up, and return the lofting kit. The sign out of lofting kits will ideally occur during designated times. Those times may take place on Move-In Days. Other times, at the convenience of a professional residence life staff member, may be possible. Kits must be returned during designated times throughout the last week of each semester. 

Because kits are signed out to individuals and not to rooms, if a student changes rooms, they must take their kit with them and must alert their professional residence life staff member. Leaving the kit behind in a previous room will result in a $50 fee for removal. By signing the Loft Kit Sign Out Form, the student agrees to follow proper procedures, specifically failure to return the kits by leaving the kit in your room/suite and sign the Return portion of the Sign Out form, will result in a $50.00 fee.

Dining and Housing Contract

All residents are required to complete and sign a housing contract to secure a room on campus. The contract for University housing and dining is for one academic year unless otherwise specified in the individual contract. All students with a housing contract have a meal plan. Students have the first two weeks of each semester to make changes to their meal plan on-line through your eRezlife account. A student’s meal plan, as specified in the dining contract, does not include any meals during breaks even if there is meal service on campus. All students with a signed contract are financially responsible for all housing charges unless they receive a written release from the contract. If approved to live in apartment style housing, you are not required to have a residential meal plan.

Students may, with written permission of the Director of Housing Operations or their designee, be released from this contract or any portion thereof without penalty for any of the following reasons: withdrawal from the University, academic dismissal from the University, completion of a degree program, leave of absence, or participation in the University sponsored study abroad program.

Students’ requests for termination of the contract should be submitted to eRezLife in writing to the Director of Housing Operations. (Application for release does not imply automatic termination of the contract.) Applications will be reviewed, and residents will be notified of a decision in five to ten business days. Release from the contract may be granted for reasons other than those specified above.

Meal Plan Requirement

All students who reside in a University residence hall are required to purchase a residential meal plan and will eat meals in designated University dining facilities under the approved meal plans. Students offered a Campus Apartment on the Johnson campus mid-year must keep a residential board plan for the rest of the academic year on the Johnson Campus.

Changes to meal plans may only occur through the first two weeks of classes each semester. The exceptions to the meal plan are as follows below:

Students assigned to the Rita Bole Complex at the Lyndon Campus are exempt from this requirement.

Students assigned to the Foley Apartments at Castleton Campus are exempt from this requirement.

Students assigned to the Johnson Campus Apartments are exempt from this requirement.

Students on the Williston Campus are exempt as there is not a meal plan option.

Fire Safety

Fire Drills

Announced fire drills in residence halls will be conducted by the Residential Life and Public Safety Department once per semester during the first two weeks of school. Unannounced fire drills may be conducted on occasion in residence halls to ensure that evacuation and other safety measures are correctly observed. Students are required to vacate the building immediately once a fire alarm sounds. Entrances to buildings and fire lanes must be free of obstacles. All students are required to be 25 feet from the building entrance during an alarm. Assume that all alarms are emergencies. Your residence hall staff will review proper evacuation routes and procedures with you during the first week of each semester.

Fire Safety Guidelines

The following violate the fire safety code and therefore are prohibited:

  • Smoking, vaping, or tobacco use of any type in the residence halls and campus apartments
  • Open flame or fire (i.e., candles or incense)
  • Decorative lights- unless they are LED
  • Live trees or wreaths
  • Additional furniture
  • Anything near, covering, or attached to the smoke detector or heat sensor
  • Items hanging from the ceiling, or storing items near the ceiling that restrict the flow of air to the smoke detector or heat sensor (such as bulky items stored above wardrobes)
  • Toaster ovens, hot plates, electric frying pans, toasters, crock pots, air fryers and insta-pots.
  • Indoor or outdoor grills
  • Space heater
  • Blocking doorways or exits
  • Storage of flammable liquids
  • Tapestries not flat against wall
  • Anything blocking, covering, or using the room heater as a shelf
  • Storage of bikes or any other items in residence hall corridors, stairwells, entryways, or bathrooms

Improper Use of Fire Safety Equipment

Misuse of any fire safety systems endangers both life and property, is considered a serious offense and can lead to disciplinary action up to, and including, dismissal. Specifically, abuse of fire alarms, smoke detectors or extinguisher systems is forbidden. Emergency exit doors are not to be blocked on either side by obstructions. Falsely pulling any alarm or intentionally setting off a smoke detector is illegal and may be punishable by fine of up to $1000.00. Hallway fire doors must always be closed.

When a Fire Alarm Sounds

Everyone must leave the building immediately, taking keys and clothing appropriate for the weather. It may be some time before you can re-enter the building. Only Public Safety or professional Residence Life staff can give permission to reenter a building after a fire alarm.

All rooms are checked to make sure everyone has exited the building. Residents and their guest(s) who fail to exit the building are subject to a fine. Preventing someone from leaving a building during an emergency, or encouraging another person to ignore alarms, is not permitted and could result in disciplinary action. Fire drill evacuation plans and emergency procedures are posted near or on the back of all room doors in each residence hall; please become familiar with them.

Students with approved Emotional Support Animals (ESA) may not reenter the building to retrieve their animal. It is the student’s responsibility to gather their ESA before evacuating the building. If a student was unable to retrieve their ESA, they should alert Public Safety or Residence Life Staff.

General Safety and Security

Smoking and Tobacco

In keeping with the Vermont State University policy 314, all campuses within the VTSU have committed to becoming tobacco-free. Our desire is to ensure a safe and healthy environment for all students, staff and visitors who work and use our facilities. All university-owned grounds and buildings, including residence halls and campus apartments, are tobacco-free. Please access the website or portal for additional information related to our tobacco-free campus policy.

Per this policy, tobacco is defined as any manufactured product containing tobacco or nicotine, including but not limited to cigarettes, cigars, pipe tobacco, snuff, chewing tobacco, dipping tobacco, shisha, pipes, water (hookah) pipes, dissolvable tobacco products, electronic cigarettes, other electronic or battery-powered vaping devices and all forms of smokeless tobacco.

As of September 1, 2019, it is illegal for a person under the age of 21 to possess or consume tobacco products.

Guest Policy

Guests are defined as follows:

  • Residential student who is not a resident of suite or room the person is visiting
  • Commuter Students
  • Non-student
  • Overnight guests: any guest staying beyond 11:00 p.m.

Guests are permitted if University policies and procedures are adhered to, and all roommates agree to the visit. Guests must comply with the following:

  • The host must register overnight guests on eRezlife and verify roommate’s permission.
  • The guest form can be found at https://vermontstate.erezlife.com/
  • Residents who have a guest(s) accept full responsibility for the actions of their guest(s) and are subject to disciplinary action for the misconduct of their guest(s).
  • This includes students from another VTSU campus
  • Guests will be considered the same age as their host when enforcing alcohol policies if their host is under the age of 21.
  • Alcohol consumption by guests of the legal drinking age is not allowed in underage student rooms.
  • Guests can stay overnight only if all occupants of the room agree to the visit.
  • Overnight guests under 16 will not be permitted.
  • Non-student overnight guests under 18 need parental permission and must register in person at the Office of Public Safety.
  • No guests can stay on campus more than three nights during a seven-day period, and no more than six nights in a thirty-day period.
  • The number of guests cannot exceed the maximum number of residents in that room and no resident may have more than two guests at any one time.
  • All overnight guests with cars should check in with the campus’s Public Safety Department for visitor parking.
  • Guests who do not register may be required to leave immediately.
  • All guests must register with a Residence Life staff member and abide by Vermont State University policies and code of conduct.
  • Registered guests must stay overnight in the room assigned to the student hosting them.

A host may lose guest privileges if they or their guest are violating the student code of conduct. Having a guest on campus is a privilege not a right and may be revoked by the Residence Life staff.

In case of medical emergencies with a guest on campus, Residence Life Staff and Public Safety are required to call emergency services.

Occupancy Policy

Only 12 people are allowed in suite common areas at any time, including the suite’s residents. 

Only 6 people are allowed in a residence hall room at any time, including the residents. 

Johnson campus apartment residents can only have 6 people in the apartment at one time.

Non-compliance of these expectations may result in further guest limit restrictions or review of eligibility to retain or renew your housing contract.

Keys & Student ID’s

All students will be issued one student ID at no expense. This ID is valid for the entire time students are enrolled at the University. Residential students will use their IDs for access into their Residence Hall. Depending on your residence hall, students may receive a physical key or use their student ID to enter their suite and or room.

Student IDs also serve as a meal card and library card and are necessary for entry into the SHAPE facility. A student ID should always be on your person and should never be loaned to anyone else. Students should report lost or stolen IDs immediately to Public Safety. Keys shall not be loaned to others and must be returned immediately upon termination of University residential status. Keys lost or not returned to by the student’s move out date indicated on student paperwork will be billed to the student’s account. If a student misplaces their student ID, they should visit the Public Safety Office on their campus during normal business hours to request a temporary access card. A temporary access card is valid for only seven days. If a student’s ID is not found within that time, a new ID must be purchased.

Maintenance Issues

Please report any maintenance problems through our online eRezlife workorder system. Students can do this through their eRezlife accounts. Please report any emergency maintenance problems such as lack of heat, loss of power, or hot water to Public Safety if the residence hall staff is not readily available.  

Quiet Hours & Courtesy Hours

Vermont State University observes courtesy hours 24 hours a day, and quiet hours during specific time periods. Courtesy Hours means that one’s activities should not interfere with the basic peace, quiet and life activities of neighbors. Quiet hours are in effect outdoors and in common areas as well as in residential areas including the campus apartments.

The residence hall quiet hours are as follows:

Sunday through Thursday 11 p.m. to 8 a.m. and Friday and Saturday nights from 1 to 10 a.m.

Should a student be disturbed by unreasonable noise they are encouraged to speak to the applicable community member(s) and refer to a Resident Assistant or residence life staff member if the conflict cannot be resolved. Stereos and speakers may not be directed outside of residence hall windows or outside the residence halls. Amplified instruments and stereos are only allowed if the volume is kept at a reasonable level which does not disturb other residents of the hall or other halls. Percussion instruments cannot be played in the residence halls. Campus wide quiet hours, including inside the residence halls, are Residence halls may institute additional quiet hours should they choose to do so as a community. During exam weeks, 23-hour quiet hours are in effect. The hour exception is 7 to 8 p.m. and is still considered a courtesy hour.

Campus-wide quiet hours are from 11 p.m. to 7 a.m., Sunday through Thursday, and 1 to 7 a.m. on Friday and Saturday night. Quiet hours during final exam periods will be posted.

Sunday-Thursday 10 p.m. to 9 a.m. Friday-Saturday 1 to 9 a.m.

Pet Policy

Pets are not allowed in the residence halls except fish. Prior approval from the roommate is required. The size of the fish tank is limited to 10 gallons. There is only one fish tank allowed per resident. If you need a service animal or an emotional support animal, please speak to Disability Services.

Renter’s Insurance

We, at VTSU, do not require renters’ insurance, but strongly recommend it because the University is not responsible for lost, stolen or damaged items (that were not caused by the University).

Residence Hall Common Spaces

Common areas, such as lounges and kitchens, are open to be used by everyone in the hall. To ensure that the amenities provided stay available for everyone equally, all furnishings (such as couches, chairs, and televisions) must remain in the common space. Additionally, it is the expectation that the lounge be cleaned and reset after each use. Residents may be held responsible for the cost of cleaning messes left behind. Common spaces are not to be used for storage of personal belongings.

Room Changes

During the first two weeks of each semester there is a room freeze; any room changes will take place after the freeze, apart from extenuating circumstances. This allows the Residence Life Department to determine who has arrived and which rooms might be available. During the last two weeks of each semester there is also a room freeze. All room changes must be approved prior to the end of the semester room freeze.

Unauthorized room changes may result in administrative action deemed appropriate by the Residence Life Department. There may be fines for unauthorized room changes and they may be required to move back to their assigned room. There will be no room rate adjustments after the class withdrawal date stated on the academic calendar.

We understand that an issue may arise with your roommate and/or suitemates. If this happens you should first speak with your roommate and/or suitemate(s), and then speak to your Resident Assistant. The Resident Assistant will explain what alternatives are available and will assist you in resolving the situation. You may not change rooms without prior approval by the appropriate residence life professional(s). The University also reserves the right to reassign rooms or assign roommates at any time should conditions arise which necessitate such changes. Failure to comply may result in disciplinary action.

Securing Possessions

We live in small communities where we have mutual respect for ourselves and each other. We encourage the following suggestions while living in our communities:

  • Locking your door whenever you leave your room, no matter how briefly.
  • If you have a car, keep it locked and do not leave valuables in it, especially in plain sight.
  • Have a list of your possessions with serial numbers.
  • Take pictures of your possessions, especially if there’s unique features.
  • Purchase renters’ insurance. The University is not responsible for the theft of personal belongings
  • Report missing items to Public Safety immediately.
  • Report suspicious activity or individuals.


Vandalism or defacement of any university property or personal belongings of university community members is prohibited. Examples include (but are not limited to):

  • Damage to university or others’ personal belongings
  • Vandalism of walls, windows, walkways, or any other surface
  • Damage of academic or library resources
  • Damage of vending machines or vendor spaces
  • Damage to Bulletin Boards or Displays


The weapons policy is outlined in our Public Safety policies.

Windows and Balconies

Throwing or dropping anything from a window or balcony is dangerous and a serious violation of residence hall policies. No object may be thrown up to a window or balcony nor may any object be thrown through a window from a balcony. Exiting or entering a residence hall through a window or a balcony is also prohibited. Removing and/or damaging window screens in the residence halls is prohibited. Yelling from windows is not allowed at any time.

Johnson Campus Apartment Policies

Johnson apartments must adhere to the Residence Life policies mentioned above. Please note that the Johnson apartment has additional policies that the students must adhere to while living there.

How to Qualify for an Apartment

  • Are age 23 or will turn 23 on or before the start of the spring semester
  • Are married or partners of a civil union
  • Are a parent with custody of their child(ren)
  • Are completing an internship, teaching practicum or assistantship* outside the area
  • Have already lived on a college campus for four semesters
  • Have completed 60 or more credits

Active Duty Hours 

Active-Duty hours are 24 hours, anyone from Residential Life or Dept. of Public Safety (DPS) can and will monitor the Johnson apartments at any time.

A professional residence life staff member is on call on a 24/7 basis and are on rotating weeks. They can be contacted through Public Safety or your Resident Assistant On call staff policy.

A member of the residence hall staff is on call every evening to answer questions, handle emergencies, and direct students to resources. 


The alcohol policy can be found on the university and system policies page.