Vermont State’s Bachelor of Science in Exercise Science is the only accredited exercise science program in Vermont and New Hampshire and in the five percent of programs in the country that are both CAAHEP accredited and NSCA recognized.
With small class sizes and extensive opportunities for real-world learning, you can gain up to two years of professional work experience before you graduate. Alumni go on to great success too, with a noteworthy 100% placement rate in a job and/or graduate program.
Why Study Exercise Science at Vermont State?
- Unique facilities: Conduct your own research and hands-on learning in our state-of-the-art, research-quality exercise physiology laboratory. The lab includes a military-grade 33 mph treadmill with a harness, force plate, metabolic carts, ECG machines, treatment tables, and more. You can also access alumni-owned strength and conditioning/fitness facilities off campus, and our SHAPE fitness facilities on campus.
- Small class sizes: Lab courses are capped at 12 students.
- Get ahead with accreditation: Beginning in 2027, only students from an accredited exercise science program will be allowed to sit for ACSM certification examinations. Vermont State’s program has been accredited since 2009.
- High doctoral program acceptance rate: Graduates of the program have been accepted to doctoral programs in physical therapy at a 90%+ acceptance rate over the past ten years — compared to 10% for the national average.
- Growing employment options: Employment as a certified exercise physiologist is projected to grow 13% through 2030,* much faster than the average for all occupations.
Concentrations in Exercise Science
Students in this program choose a concentration to combine with their foundational classes.
- Exercise Professional/Strength and Conditioning
- Individualized Program of Study
- Pre-Professional Athletic Training
- Pre-Professional Physical Therapy
To apply, please select Exercise Science from the list on the application. You will have opportunity to identify your concentration interest after you apply.
Financial Aid for Exercise Science Students
Vermont State University is providing a high-quality, affordable degree in exercise science to students across Vermont and beyond. More than 80 percent of Vermont State students are awarded financial aid, including new students, transfer students, international students, out-of-state students, and first-generation students. Our financial aid team is here to help you explore all your options.
Internships & Jobs in Exercise Science
Students from this program have gone on to seek higher levels of education, as well as enter the workforce, with extraordinary success. Placements include:
- The Doctor of Physical Therapy (DPT) program at University of North Carolina’s Wayne Memorial Hospital
- The Pittsburg Steelers (NFL Football Team)
- Co-Founder of Transitions Physical Therapy in VT
- The doctoral program in biomechanics at the University of Massachusetts, Amherst (including a full-tuition graduate assistantship)
- Massachusetts General Hospital in Boston, MA (the official hospital for all Boston professional sports teams)
- Internships at Cressey Sports Performance
This program is accredited by the Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs (2009-present) in coordination with the American College of Sports Medicine.
The program is also recognized by the National Strength and Conditioning Association’s Education Recognition Program (2005-present).
“The high standards that the program held us to truly gave me a head start when I arrived at graduate school and has helped mold me into the professional that I now find myself to be.”Amanda Martin ’14, Certified Athletic Trainer
“In discussing my college experience with peers from other schools in exercise science programs, all of them are surprised by the amount of practical knowledge and experience I have from this program. I believe that my success outside of college is directly related to the practical knowledge I received.”Calvin Sanderson ’15, Certified Personal Trainer and Strength and Conditioning Coach