With your B.S. in Physical Education from Vermont State University, you’ll be ready to make a difference in the physical health and fitness level of people of all ages. Do you want to teach? We’ll show you how to bring out the best in your students through a program aligned with the teacher education guidelines of the Society of Health and Physical Educators of America and the Vermont Agency of Education. This program also prepares you for careers in non-school settings — such as public health departments, hospitals, medical centers, youth programs and camps, fitness centers, recreation departments, and nonprofit community organizations.
Why Study Physical Education at Vermont State?
- Hands-on from the start: Physical Education students practice what they learn beginning in year one, working with students in local schools across age groups.
- Networking and professional connections: Our faculty organize a wide array of professional development opportunities, as experiential learning is the hallmark of our program. You will have opportunities to network with program alumni at state, regional, and national conferences, too.
- Community involvement: Physical Education majors sponsor community events with groups including the Vermont Special Olympics, Castleton Lions Club, and the Society for Health and Physical Education (SHAPE-VT).
- A secure future: Our students have had incredible success finding professional opportunities in an exciting array of wellness and activity venues. Our teacher education graduates are highly sought out by schools within Vermont and beyond.
Concentrations in Physical Education
Students in this program choose a concentration to combine with their foundational classes.
- Health and Physical Activity Promotion
- Teaching Licensure in PreK-12 Physical Education
To apply, please select Physical Education from the list on the application. You will have opportunity to identify your concentration interest after you apply.
Financial Aid for Physical Education Students
Vermont State University is providing a high-quality, affordable degree in Physical Education to students across Vermont and beyond. More than 80 percent of Vermont State students are awarded financial aid, including new students, transfer students, international students, out-of-state students, and first-generation students. Our financial aid team is here to help you explore all your options.
Internships & Jobs in Physical Education
At Vermont State, you’ll gain leading-edge skills for Physical Education jobs through internships, co-ops, career coaching, and more. Our internship placements are guaranteed to grow your professional network.
Students pursuing non-school setting careers in health and physical activity promotion are working with The Boys and Girls Club, hospitals, medical centers, and state agencies. Program graduates work all over New England, New York, and beyond.
Minors Available in the Physical Education Program
Interested in adding a minor to your degree program? See minors available in the Physical Education program below.
- Adventure Education
“This program had a huge influence on me. It strengthened my love and passion for teaching and coaching. I learned how to conduct a first-class program both on and off the field.”Michael Perrone ’15