Build the foundation for a career in broadcasting, climate change, private industry, or research in Vermont State University’s renowned Atmospheric Sciences program. The only program of its kind in Vermont, this degree is the perfect fit for students with a passion for forecasting, meteorology, weather, and climate science. With our on-campus TV station, weather center, and observation deck, you’ll acquire hands-on experience for many meteorologist jobs. Graduates of our Atmospheric Sciences program have worked at The Weather Channel, AccuWeather, and the National Weather Service.
Why Study Atmospheric Sciences at Vermont State?
- Hands-on learning: Explore our weather center, observation deck, and on-campus TV studio with weather graphics workstations. Participate in fieldwork, including storm chasing, weather and climate research, and operational forecasting.
- Gain national exposure: Plan and participate in the Northeastern Storm Conference — hosted by Vermont State students. It is the longest-running and largest student-run weather conference in the nation, with over 300 attendees each year!
- Build a strong network: Grow your peer network by attending or presenting at other national conferences like the American Meteorological Society’s annual meeting.
- Small classes taught by first-rate faculty: You’ll benefit from personalized learning in a supportive environment, surrounded by students who share your interests.
- Solid job outlook: Employment of atmospheric scientists, including meteorologists, is projected to grow four percent from 2021 to 2031*, which is on-par with the national average.
- Continue your education: Graduates of the Atmospheric Sciences program are continuing their education in master’s and doctoral programs at schools across the country.
*Source: U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics
Concentrations in Atmospheric Sciences
Students in this program choose a concentration to combine with their foundational classes.
- Climate Change
- Graduate School
- National Weather Service
- Private Industry
To apply, please select Atmospheric Sciences from the list on the application. You will have opportunity to identify your concentration interest after you apply.
Financial Aid for Atmospheric Sciences Students
Vermont State University is providing a high-quality, affordable degree in Atmospheric Sciences to students across Vermont and beyond. More than 80 percent of Vermont State students are awarded financial aid, including new students, transfer students, international students, out-of-state students, and first-generation students. Our financial aid team is here to help you explore all your options.
Internships & Jobs in Atmospheric Sciences
At Vermont State, you’ll gain leading-edge skills for atmospheric sciences jobs through internships, co-ops, career coaching, and more. Our internship placements are guaranteed to grow your professional network.
“The atmospheric sciences program is preparing me for my career by offering courses that are very relevant to what we’ll be doing once we graduate. One of the greatest things is that they’re really connecting us to the alumni network, so we’ll have a lot of contacts to reach out to when we graduate. The atmospheric sciences alumni group is super tight-knit.”Jonathan Hutchinson ‘20