Alumni FAQs

The following are a few questions alumni often ask. Please feel free to be in touch with other questions you may have! 

Q. Why are Castleton University, Northern Vermont University, and Vermont Technical College unifying?   

Economic and demographic challenges, exacerbated by the COVID-19 pandemic, led to the reimagining of the Vermont State Colleges System to ensure it will thrive into the future. Vermont State University is the new name for the unified institution, with five campuses and multiple learning sites throughout Vermont. See the Vermont State Vision and Mission

Q. What does this mean for my alma mater — will it still exist after unification?  

While our name will become Vermont State University, we remain committed to everything that you have known and loved about your experience on your home campus, including the campus culture and traditions that touched you deeply. Vermont State University will include campus locations as part of its name when referring to a specific campus: i.e., Vermont State University Lyndon, Vermont State University Castleton, etc.). The changes to come will increase opportunities for our students while reducing our administrative structure. 

Q. What does unification mean for alumni? 

The unification of Castleton, Northern Vermont University, and Vermont Technical College will present benefits for both current students and our alumni communities through increased networking and mentoring opportunities, new affinity groups, and a robust slate of alumni events. Our individual institutions are home to a network of tens of thousands of alumni living across the country and around the world. All will be welcome in our new unified university.  

Q. Can I still connect with the college and campus I graduated from? 

The Alumni Office at your home campus is ready to help you! Just follow the link: 

Q. How can I best continue to support my institution?   

Be involved! Share your experiences, remain engaged in university activities and news, volunteer your time, and give to your home campus or the larger institution.    

Q. Can I still donate specifically to my alma mater?   

Yes! You may donate to the institution you would like to support now and beyond the unification by making a restricted gift to support the fund of your choice at the campus of your choice.  

Q. What institution name should I use on my resume? 

Alumni are encouraged to continue using the institution name that is most appropriate — Castleton University, Castleton State College, Johnson State College, Lyndon State College, Northern Vermont University, Vermont Technical College. After the unification, alumni may continue to refer to their alma mater as Castleton University, Northern Vermont University, etc. Or you may choose to use Vermont State University (formerly [the name of institution you graduated from]), as in: Vermont State University (formerly Castleton University). 

Q. Will campus-specific athletic teams remain after unification? 

Athletics is recognized as a core element of the student experience and a source of diversity and energy on the Castleton, Johnson, Lyndon, and Randolph campuses. We are not making any immediate changes to our athletic offerings — or our mascots! We will continue to use data and analysis to make adjustments to athletics in the coming years, but any major changes will be announced at least a year in advance. 

Contact Us! 

Questions? Want to get involved?  

Please contact Lauren Philie, Assistant Vice President of Institutional Advancement and Alumni Relations, at or call 802.635.1657